We are a poultry processing company specializing in fresh and frozen whole turkey. We also process a variety of value-added specialty products such as roasts. An ideal candidate for this position is an individual who will lead, develop, and improve our Quality Assurance Team and programs. We are committed to generating a team-based environment using continuous improvement methodologies. Under the guidance of the Director of Food Safety and Quality Assurance, you are mandated to manage the FSQA systems in the plant by developing, updating, implementing, communicating, promoting, validating, and overseeing them. The Quality Assurance Manager is responsible for ensuring the food safety and quality of products generated by ensuring conformance to regulations, customer requirements as well as Exceldor policies, all while supporting. As Quality Assurance Manager, you are mandated to perform and oversee the QA/QC Team and tasks in accordance with accepted industry and governmental standards. This integral position will report directly to the Director of Food Safety and Quality Assurance.
- Approve all site programs as site’s SQF Practitioner, thus working to ensure the quality, conformance, and execution of its processes. Also responsible for the results of inspection, monitoring, verification, evaluation, validation and updating of documents.
- Investigate non-conformities, deviations, problems and/or issues and ensure the quality and conformity of execution and results following non-conformances, deviations, corrective, and preventive measures.
Communicate corporate and regulatory changes to Plant staff, and complete program changes and implementation to staff as needed.
- Train trainers and employees by instructing them, giving explanations, and evaluating them on a periodic basis as per GMPs, HACCP and SQF Programs. Ensure the quality and conformity of the execution and results of training.
- Convey and promote the vision and quality culture in the plant.
- Solve quality and food safety issues and have hands-on leadership role in the plant.
- Prepare and make available quality documents for the CFIA and liaison with CFIA for audits and all other regulatory affairs.
- Analyze the data and take corrective and preventive measures to ensure the quality and food safety of products
- Prepare, analyze, synthesize, and describe the state of food quality and safety system monthly.
- Directs crisis and recall simulation and participates in crisis management simulation and recall exercises. This includes ensuring traceability in the plant and ensuring its follow-up.
- Develop, update / modify, monitor / verify, validate, re-evaluate quality and food safety performance indicators in accordance with laws and regulations, standards, customer requirements and Exceldor policies.
- Update, analyze, synthesize, determine trends in quality indicators. Assess and interpret compliance, take action to ensure compliance, quality and food safety before problems or crises arise.
- Ensure a regular and efficient presence on the production floor.
- Act as a reference and support in terms of quality and food safety (laws, regulations, standards, Exceldor policies) for the plant.
- Act as a "super user" for any software used by the QA department.
- Prepare and participate in plant and corporate meetings.
- Act as responsible for plant quality communication with the Plant Manager and the Director of Quality Assurance and Food Safety (e.g. this includes CARs, CVS, External audit reports etc.)
- Complete and support with consumer complaints and communications, ensuring follow up.
- Develop, write, and follow up on action plans following a CAR, quality issues, and external or corporate audits.
- Represent Exceldor and assist and collaborate with the CFIA during CVS tasks, investigations and meetings. Ensures follow-ups with the local CFIA.
- Follow up on suppliers to the plant (e.g. pest control company, sanitation chemicals, laboratory supplies, etc.)
- Be responsible for monitoring the performance of the quality team.
- Ensure the quality and conformity of the execution and the test results (sampling, titration, weighing, calibration, temperature measurement, microbiological, organoleptic and physicochemical, etc.). Follow up on results as they become available.
- Ensure the quality, safety and conformity of the execution and the results to release the products, equipment, production lines, rooms or plant. Support the authorization of the start of operations at the start of the day via QC Technicians.
- Support QA Supervisor in managing laboratory supplies.
- Prepare and participate in internal and external audits. Manage non-conformities and the effectiveness of corrective and preventive measures. Ensure the quality and compliance of execution and audit results.
- Participate in the start-up of new products, new production lines or plant projects.
- Attend internal and external trainings to ensure that your knowledge is up to date at the regulatory and normative level.
- Manage the human resources of the quality team in order to adequately use the workforce to achieve the department's objectives.
- Determine resource requirements, participate in hiring, and be responsible for on-boarding. Also evaluates performance of team members.
- Advise employees in problem solving, ensures the training and development of your team members.
- Plan, prepare support and / or lead the meetings of the department.
- Manage the QA budget in its entirety.
- Ensure that all customer specifications and/or audit requirements are met-assisting in customer QA audits and product improvement/enhancement projects.
- Provide technical support to R&D and Operation teams.
- Other duties and responsibilities as require.
- Bachelor's degree in Food Science and Technology, Food Science, Food Engineering
- Possess formal training/certification Quality Assurance, GMPs, Food plant sanitation, microbiology
- Require 5-10 years of experience in Food Safety and Quality Assurance, with half of that experience in managing and working in Food Safety and Quality at a federally inspected plant
- Excellent knowledge of HACCP, SQF, GFSI and able to interpret SFCR laws and regulations
- Excellent knowledge of management of Food Safety and Quality systems as well as regulatory conformance
- Experience in developing, implementing and maintaining QA, HACCP and SQF programs
- Thorough knowledge of allergen control, biological principles of food safety, food-borne disease, meat processing and CFIA regulations
- Worked in a professional capacity with CFIA in prior jobs
- Results and detail-oriented, pro-active, professional in working with Upper Management, Supervisors and hourly staff
- Must have excellent computer skills in Microsoft Suite. Must have good computer skills in Power BI, SharePoint and other Quality Management Software
- Excellent communication, team facilitation, problem solving and leadership skills
- Able to make tough decisions in events of non-conformities at the plant
- French is an asset
Employee assistance program
We subscribe to the principle of employment equity. This position is suitable to men and women.